A bombardment carried out by Saudi-led coalition jets has rocked a funeral ceremony in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, killing more than 200 people and leaving hundreds injured, news agencies report, citing local officials and medics.
The Saudi-led coalition targeted a building hosting a Houthi funeral ceremony, killing more than 200 people, AP reports citing local officials. According to the outlet, military and security officials from the rebel movement are among the victims.The number of those injured has risen to 534, TASS reported, citing local SABA news agency reports.
A missile tore through the hall of the building, leaving many dead and injured, Reuters reported, citing eyewitnesses. According to the news agency, a medic said that he saw “mutilated and charred bodies,” adding that the funeral was being held for the deceased father of the Houthi rebels’ Interior Minister.
— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) October 8, 2016
Sputnik news agency was also told by a source at the scene that the incident was caused by a Saudi-led bombardment that left dozens of people dead.
The total count of those injured and dead may reach the hundreds, the source told Sputnik.
— Yemen Post Newspaper (@YemenPostNews) October 8, 2016
There has been no official confirmation as to what exactly caused the destruction, however.
US-backed Saudi war criminals bombed more than 3000 Yemeni mourners in a mourning hall in Sanaa.Saudi kill innocents when theyrdefeated pic.twitter.com/lxZU8hM6kE
— Nasser Arrabyee (@narrabyee) October 8, 2016
Tensions in Yemen spiraled after President Ali Abdullah Saleh was deposed in 2012. In response, his Houthi supporters – reportedly aided by Iran – seized the capital city of Sanaa in 2014, before advanced to the south and seizing large parts of Yemen, forcing current Sunni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi into exile.
In March of 2015, the Saudi-led coalition began airstrikes in order to stop Houthi advances and restore Hadi to power.
By late summer of that year, Saudi-led forces had launched a ground operation as well.
— I4Yemen (@I4Yemen) October 8, 2016
In August, at least 11 people were killed and 19 injured in an airstrike that targeted a hospital in northwestern Hajjah province, according to Doctors Without Borders (MSF).
Earlier that month, at least 10 children were killed and almost 30 injured at a school in northwest Yemen, MSF reported. That strike was also blamed on the Saudi-led coalition.
— ابراهيم عبدالكريم (@abrahama999) October 8, 2016
— Engr.Moh'd Lotf (@EngrLotf) October 8, 2016